Sunday, October 5, 2008

Ahhh Internets

FINALLY got internet here.
My roommate Rei got the text message notifying us that we had a signal, but she and Christophe couldn't figure out how to get it to work. Starved for internet, I devoted myself to the cause and somehow figured it out.
I'm pleased that I will be able to call family and friends at times that work for everyone.
God, it feels so good to be online. It sounds so pathetic, but I can't help the way I am.

I don't know if I've ever made mention of the specifics of my living where abouts. I eat, sleep and keep all of my stuff in a small village called Ponts De Ce, which is a 10-15 minute bus ride from school or a near 45 minute walk. During the week this isn't a problem, since, for the most part I would rather walk, anyway. But the weekend has been very cold and rainy and there are far fewer buses that run throughout the day. But even if we did board a bus and head downtown, there would be nowhere for us to go. Everything is closed on Sunday. People will still wander around Centre Ville, but there won't be a single shop or cafe open. It's starting to get cold and I now have less motivation to leave Madame's.

I probably should have spent more of my time reviewing the concepts I have learned during my first month here. I keep telling myself I'll do it later and I don't. But, really, I SHOULD do it later. Just having internet right now is really exciting.

We've watched a lot of Anglophone television these past few days: "The Nanny", "Smallville", "Sex and the City", "The Secret Diaries of a Call Girl", "Veronica Mars" and "Hex"-- all dubbed over in French. I think the worst was "The Nanny" because Fran Dressher's voice is what makes that show worth watching and a New York accent in French is probably impossible.
Speaking of accents, lots of French people have asked me if I am from Chicago. I apparently have a "very midwest American French accent."
My friend Lydia learned how to speak English when she was a little girl by watching American cartoons. I know the 20 year old mind is different from that of a kindergardner's, but I figure the exposure can't hurt.

Since my arrival, I have been constantly going to class, hurrying home for dinner and studying. Even on weekends, Madame would want us up for breakfast and running off to Centre Ville to do something with our days.
I've needed this long week off because it's given me time to just relax and do nothing.

I'm often quick to point out differences between the day to day here and the one that's common back home. But, there are some differences that I recognize on a more personal level. There's a lot that a miss-- and a lot that I don't. This is what I think:

I Miss
10. Driving/My car: It's just not the same taking the bus. And nothing compares to the convenience of hopping in the car and driving five minutes to the grocery or video store in the middle of the night.
9. Grab and go coffee, specifically Biggby: we've been over this before. It just doesn't exist here. Portions here are also very tiny. It's the same amount of caffeine in less liquid, which means less time to savor the taste.
8. My closet: I just couldn't bring all of my clothes/bags and shoes with me. I enjoy having lots of options and a 50 pound suitcase just doesn't offer as much as I would like.
7. Autumn/Halloween: I'm missing out on my favorite time of year.
6. My own bed: My bed here is OK, it's just not the same.
5. My vegan eats: I recently had to come to terms with the fact that I wouldn't be able to survive here as a vegan. I temporarily dropped to a strict vegetarian since all of the food here is made with milk and cheese. All that I can do is eat vegan when it's possible.
4. Mindless use of the phone and internet: At home, it's so easy to just pick it up and call whoever I want, whenever I want, without worrying about how many minutes I have left on my cheap, throw away, drug dealer phone.
3. My Sister and friends: I miss even just talking to them on a regular basis.
2. Writing: The only writing I've been doing lately are my blog updates.
1. English: surprise, surprise, right? I really took for granted how easy it is to communicate at home. Everyone understands me and it takes very little effort. I so badly want to learn this language, but I don't think I'll have a full grip on it for a few years. It takes time for everything to fall into place.

I Don't Miss
10. Drinking laws: In 14 days I'll be legal in the states, but for now, I can waltz into any bar or liquor store and buy whatever I want.
9. Anti-smoking ads: Advertising brainwashes nations.
8. Frat boys and red neck hicks: I think that pretty much sums it up.
7. Football: This kind of spins off my no. 8. People just get so excited over the game and I just don't care. The good news is that people here don't either.
6. Buying Gas: It's expensive and I'm happy to be spending my money on other things.
5. American Transportation: Train travel is fairly cheap and really easy. I don't have to beg someone to spend two hours commuting me there, I can take the bus.
4. American Men: French men are beautiful creatures and they're everywhere. They all look like models with their perfectly sculpted european faces and bodies and because it's a social taboo to go out looking anything less than your best, they have the clothes and hair, too. Because being attractive isn't a rarity, they don't let it get to their heads--they're NOT arrogant. I've grown used to always having something nice to look at.
3. Decent looking newspapers and mags: Design is weird here and I can't get used to it.
2. The same old same old: Between school and CM Life, my typical routine had gotten very tired and I'm still so happy that I broke free. I needed this something different.
1. Drama: I left a lot of that in Mt. Pleasant (and Michigan in general)

1 comment:

BIGGBY BOB said...

Re: 9. Grab and go coffee, specifically Biggby: we've been over this before. It just doesn't exist here. Portions here are also very tiny. It's the same amount of caffeine in less liquid, which means less time to savor the taste.

After having lived in France for 4 years....I have to say I like both, for different reasons :) !

BiggbyBob.com