Thursday, October 2, 2008

Train Spotty

The devastating reality of America's economic state took a moment to sink in.
But, it didn't take long for the guilt to follow.
There I was, in the middle of one of the world's most famous and expensive cities, thriving on Daddy's dollar.
I had plans to head to Paris for a few days, see the sights, visit a friend, but I decided to shorten my holiday and head straight back to Angers. Even though I have only spent money on the things I have needed, I know that it adds up. I figure, it's the very least I can do to cut back.
I figure I'll get there eventually. My parents may come to visit during Thanksgiving and I plan to head out that way for Christmas shopping. If nothing else, it will give me an excuse to come back. Paris is just one of those things I have to see before I die.

On my train ride back to Angers from Paris, the train had only been moving for about 20 minutes when it slowed to a complete stop. I was the only person in my car, so I didn't have anyone's reaction to gauge what was happening.
I figured it could be one of two things: 1.) the TGV staff began striking and abandoned us on the tracks. I have heard that it's not uncommon for railway workers to strike-- my French tutor told me that while she was studying here around this time last year, there were three different strikes throughout the duration of her stay.
2.) The train was experiencing technical difficulties-- a) I was either going to die of some sort of explosion/the train would derail/etc., or b) we would just be stuck there for awhile.

A moment later, the train manager (that's what they're called here) came over the loudspeaker to inform us that the train was, in fact, experiencing technical difficulties. A man from another car came to tell me that we would have to wait for awhile. But, the car got moving again after another 20-25 minutes.

We finally got through all of the complications that came along with registering our house for internet. We should actually have access by the end of the week.

I'm just laying low these next few days-- studying, walking around, watching "Dexter"-- my new favorite show.

No comments: