Sunday, September 28, 2008

London

Getting to France was easy enough.
I didn't have any significant setbacks finding my way to Angers so I guess I didn't expect any when I made plans to visit Ben in London.

I bought my ticket Friday afternoon. I left the house early so that I could make it with plenty of extra time. I intentionally bought TGV tickets that coincided with a friends'. (The plan was to head to London together, then go our separate ways) It was about 20 minutes before I was scheduled the board that I realized I didn't have my passport. It was back on my desk in my bedroom in Ponts de Ce, the place I put it so that it wouldn't be forgotten and a 15-minute bus ride away. After several attempts to call Madame and all of my roommates, I realized it wasn't going to happen, so I bought another train ticket and planned to go home and return with plenty of time. After taking the wrong #7 bus and having no clue where the hell I was, I eventually found my way home. It was soon after I retrieved my passport that I realized that the soonest bus was scheduled 20 minutes before my train was supposed to depart the station. On the way to the train station, I swore to myself every time the bus stopped to pick up passengers or people demanded stops. It was two minutes before I was supposed to leave when the bus dropped me off. My roommate, Christophe grabbed my suitcase and took off running at top speed toward the train. I arrived three minutes late and thankfully, the train was also running behind. I got lucky.

I've learned a lot of things in the past day, such as:
1.) Don't ever leave for the train station with plans to cross international borders without a passport.
2.) Train tickets are expensive (even with the student discount card) and are non refundable. That means you run, even if your legs are broken and your suitcase weighs more than it should.
3.) Don't trust public transportation
4.) The #7 line runs two ways, but when you are in Centre Ville standing in the circular road formation, pay attention to how it affects the direction of traffic. Line 7 Zi Est and 7 Guillebotte are NOT the same.

I made it here, made friends with a boy on the train who speaks three languages and has an amazing English accent-- because you know, people here have those.
I'm in London!

No comments: