Tuesday, November 3, 2009

How a bottle of shampoo cured six months of writer's block

It came to me in the shower.
I was a little dazed, two evening's ago, tired from a long day of heaving loads of produce boxes and struggling to please Trader Joe's core customer demographic: Stepford Wife-like Rochester Moms. I closed my eyes for a moment and let the hot water wash over my face, stream down my shoulders, and soothe the build up of stress in my upper back. I remember that my mind was completely blank, a rare phenomenon, and one that hasn't occurred in months. When I opened my eyes again, and reached out for the bottle of shampoo with the broken lid, something happened.
I got an idea.
A possible working introduction to the novel I haven't touched in nearly six months. In that moment, I was suddenly magically cured of the writer's block that has tormented me for nearly half of a year.

Earlier this year I reconnected with Jeffrey Feys, the inspiration for my story. Time had appeared to heal the both of us. I did miss him. But, I soon learned that Jeff hadn't changed. The Jeff Show was the same as it had always been. It all threw a massive emotional wrench in my already slowly turning gears. A year of healing down the drain.

Since beginning my career as a professional writer, I've learned, among many other things that: A.) moments of inspiration almost never last, B.) sources don't always return phone calls as promised and C.) sometimes, something as unexpected as a snow storm or a house fire can bump page 1A worthy coverage to page 3. It happens and it happens often. That's why I've become a bit superstitious over the last few years. It's absurd when I stop and think about it, but I almost fear that writing about my sudden brush with inspiration, acknowledging it as a miracle, will jinx my entire project. I'm just going to cross my fingers, though. I need to claim my victories where I can. Because gosh darn it, as a member of the degree toting, minimum wage Working Class America, I deserve it!

Yesterday, I made words. Exactly 2,161 of them.
I began writing around 1 p.m. and quit around 6--not because I ran out of steam, but because I had prior engagements with Phil and the computer screen was starting to burn my eyes.

Though, I was initially reluctant to register, I recently signed up for National Novel Writing Month, thirty days and nights of literary abandon. The goal is to write a 175 page (50,000-word) novel by midnight on November 30.
NaNoWriMo works like a social networking site--Create a profile, add friends, update your daily word count and track those of your peers. Phil and friends Frank Wisswell, Jessica Tackett and Amanda Turk are also participating. It's a flame under the ass, and the perfect means to finally get this project off of the ground. Clearly, my flood of inspiration came at a perfect time. All of those words in a single month seems a little impossible--It works out to be about 2,000 per day. But, I have to try.

No comments: