I was recently accepted to City University in London for a graduate program in International Journalism. But, I’m not going.
Yes, I cried my eyes out when I had to leave Europe after calling it my home for four months. And yes I found myself in complete love with the UK during my brief visit last November. But, when I applied to go to school there, I was at a very different place in my life.
For starters, it’s important to note that I had limited options when it came time to apply to graduate programs. I was in France and I didn’t have easy access to a GRE location. So while still sticking to exclusively quality programs, I applied where a GRE wasn’t required. Just two schools: Columbia in NYC and City in London. I think of it as a huge win that I got into at least one of them.
The last I checked the English Pound was worth about twice the American Dollar so basically an education abroad would cost twice as much. That’s not even taking into account the fact that London ranks among the top five most expensive cities in the world. I can go to school here, stew in the crappy economy and walk away without a lifetime of debt.
Above all, I don’t want to leave Phil behind. I’ve never felt for anyone the way I feel for him. I am always a bit scared to talk about it with people, acquaintances, family, friends or otherwise for fear of not being taken seriously. Our relationship is not a cliche’, it’s more important to me than anything. End of story.
I still plan to go to a school. I don’t know where, yet, though. I plan to take some time to research more programs, take the GRE, apply to said programs and play the waiting game a little longer.
On a different note: I got a writing gig! I'm no longer unemployed! A few weeks ago I left a message with PrideSource letting them know I was interested in freelancing for their publication. I was soon after contacted with news that they would be able to use me and the other day I got a call from Jessica Carreras, the Associate News Editor at Between The Lines Magazine. She gave me a story! It’s a news feature about Adam Taylor, head of Project Light, a youth suicide prevention group and a worker for the Michigan Democratic Party LGBT Caucus. I’m thrilled to be given such an opportunity. My deadline’s Friday.
Tuesday, June 16, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
An advanced degree in journalism is worthless
Post a Comment