Monday, May 18, 2009

Ann Arbor home, sweet, Ann Arbor home

I graduated last Saturday.
It's been well over a week since, and it somehow still sounds weird.
Graduated.

Waddling around, dressed in University of Michigan onesies and over sized Central Michigan University (hoodless/crewneck/ewww) sweatshirts, I always knew I had to graduate from college. It wasn't until I was in the fifth or the sixth grade that I even realized that not attending college was even an option. I always thought of it as like the thirteenth grade, the place you automatically went when you finished high school. You go to Kindergarten, then first through sixth grade, then junior high, then high school, then finally college. Well, I guess all that brainwashing did the trick. I felt an obligation to continue to higher education and now I'm all done--At least for the moment.

I'm still crossing my fingers and waiting (not so) patiently to hear from City University's J-School in London. If I'm accepted, I'd start my masters program in the fall.

In the meantime, I'm in Ann Arbor. Why Ann Arbor, you ask? Because 1.) It's not Shelby Township, Michigan, 2.) It's not Mount Pleasant, Michigan, 3.) It's someplace new and 4.) There are things happening here. Ann Arbor has a culture, a community and the environment is stimulating. (Examples: Amazing people (hipster) watching, went to a Question Mark and the Mysterians show the other night, graffiti, etc.)

Brad Canze and I moved in last week to the top floor of a house on Packard Street. It's white paint is peeling, the front door won't close and the hallway smells of moth balls. We also don't have cable or internet. But it's janky exterior isn't reflexive of our living space, which is cozy and actually looks a lot like a loft. We have our own rooms, a balcony and this over sized window we continue to call "The Hobbit Door."
We're found the sublet on Craigslist. The people who posted were really eager to find summer renters so we got it for really cheap: $325 per month, a few blocks outside of downtown. We also got free utilities, our signing fee waived and air conditioners.

For the moment I'm unemployed. I've filled out about a zillion applications to everywhere that would let me; basically everywhere that you can imagine. I just need one: to pay my rent and so that I can eat once in awhile.

AnnArbor.com, Ann Arbor's new online news source starts up in July and there's a chance I could be given some freelance opportunities. I've contacted Tony Dearing, the site's founder and he said my experience is "impressive" and we'd be in touch. Just gotta wait and see.

My main job this summer, though, is focusing on writing my fiction piece based on the memoirs of my friendship with Jeffrey David Feys. I've known since the beginning that the toughest part of this project will be organizing my story and getting it all down somehow. I realized today that I've been friends with Jeff for about ten years-- which is a lot of crap to remember and sift through. It's going to be long and tough.

Today I posted a note on facebook asking for some outside help: Maybe someone else remembers something I don't, or they have a really crazy Jeff story I don't have. You never, ever know with him. If you know Jeff and think you have an experience to contribute, I will certainly appreciate it. Anyway, here it is.


Hey Guys,

I'm devoting my summer to writing an extensive piece of fiction based on the memoirs of my friendship with Jeffrey David Feys.

Obsessive in my need to write everything down, you can imagine how frustrating it is for me to remember everything in a near 10-year-old friendship. I'm trying to be as detailed in my story as possible.

I know that we all have Jeff stories of our own. He's surely left some sort of impact on your life and I'm curious to know what that is.

Tell me:

-What experiences/memories do you have with Jeff that you think is telling of who he is as a person?
-Whats your **favorite** Jeff story?
-How did you meet Jeff?
-What about Jeff makes him so memorable?
-Has he changed your life or perspective on life at all? How?

If you're interested in helping me out or would like more information about my project, please email me at Caitlin.M.Foyt@gmail.com. Also, if you know of someone else who could contribute who has not been tagged in this note, I'm accepting of any help I can get.

Thanks.

Best,

-Caitlin M. Foyt

No comments: