Saturday, April 18, 2009

Grad school and Lies The Media Told Me

Finally finished my grad school application for City University in London.
There's not a deadline for prospective international students, so I took my time ensuring that I would be able to do a decent job on the required 250 word piece about a local person.
The story, at over 600 words, is entitled "Leaving His Post Mark", and was first published on last week's cover of Lifeline.
It was tough at first to make cuts, especially such drastic ones. I was afraid that I was going to completely kill the spirit of this story. But, I think it turned out alright. After I print out the modified version, it's off to the post office and then we'll see what happens. Cross your fingers for me.

Last Tuesday, I learned that an event that played a major role in shaping who I am, never actually happened. The story of Rachel Joy Scott, the girl who was supposedly targeted and killed for her religious beliefs, was a complete fabrication. It turns out that lots of the stories we heard about what happened during the Columbine shootings 10 years ago were not true.
Scott's story, as it was reported, said that one of the gunmen, after he shot her in the leg, asked Scott if she still believed in God, and that she simply answered "You know I do," which provoked a second, fatal shot to her head at point-blank range.
She died for her beliefs, and at just 12 years old, this was a new idea for me. She had a reason to live and something to die for. It led me to read the book about her life. Her passion was admirable and made me want to have something powerful like that in my life. I am a journalist, obviously not because of the salary or for any other similar incentive, but because it's what I love. This girl's story laid a foundation for that philosophy.
For the record, I don't blame anyone for this.
I've had some time to mull over this throughout the last week or so and I've come to accept that I guess in a way, it's good that I was told this story. But, I do still feel lied to and cheated. My column, from the day I found out these truths, still reads a little angry, though.

It's a beautiful day out there. Some ridiculous temperature, in the 70s somewhere. So I should probably go enjoy it.

No comments: