Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Meet Kiwi

Picture of Kiwi on TwitPic

I recently adopted a kitten.

R. Beyer, a new friend, found her on the steps of the Park Library a few weeks ago. She was apparently in pretty rough shape-- a very tiny, shivering kitten who looked like she hadn't eaten in a long while. He picked her up, put her in his coat, took her home and nursed her back to health.

All that we know about her is that she's calico, probably not more than two months old and she's pretty skiddish.

Since my return from Europe, I've toyed with the idea of adopting a pet. The plan was to make a shelter cat or dog of my own after graduation. But, this little cat needed a home. I do keep a pretty busy schedule, but it's rare that she will ever be alone.

Though she is a bit of a 'fraidy cat, she's already getting much better. The first day, she didn't want to come out from under the bed. Now she wants to play all the time and loves to be pet. She still dives under there once in awhile, but she's becoming more trusting of her caregivers. She just doesn't care for strangers. I can't blame her for being the way she is--she was after all abandoned in the dead of Michigan winter and who knows if she had some really terrible things happen to her.
I'm hoping, because she is still so young, that she'll be able to become a much more social cat later on.

I already love her a lot.

Picture of Kiwi 2 on TwitPic

I haven't quite got the hang of the program Twiiterpic so just click on the photos to enlarge them.

3 comments:

Moon Shadows said...

She's adorable. I had the chance to take in a rescue for a little while. It's slightly discouraging when they don't immediately warm up to you, but it means everything when they run to you in a "crisis."

Maria Filar said...

oh my godddddd
she's great!!!

james said...

Very cute kitten. She looks like trouble.