Though a possible column was briefly discussed prior to summer recess, I haven't even thought about writing for Life since I've been here. I feel that abroad columns are iffy and sometimes pointless. I mean, what will I write about that has any true value whatsoever? I could dabble in the obvious and the cliche' topics, such as: What things abroad are different and what is the same? How I love bread at every meal? Why the bus makes me sick? I don't know.
I have made a few friends, some are from Notre Dame and another is from the south somewhere. Many of them coincidentally are journalists.
I like it here. But, I think a year in this place would suffice and much more than that might be tired. I want to see more of Europe. I'd especially like to go to Munich during Oktoberfest since I'll be on holiday during that time. I know that would be an experience of a lifetime. Apparently, though, all hostels are filled and it's recommended that you camp-- though, I don't feel comfortable temporarily abandoning my stuff, I don't care how nice and hospitable Europeans generally are. I'm still not quite over my fear of being pickpocketed at any given time.
Dinner is always entertaining. Every night, Madame prepares something different, but the formula for the evening is always the same. Six foreign students who have one language in common, who stumble over that language, while attempting to complete the several course meal. "Mange! Mange!" ("Eat! Eat!") she always shouts from the kitchen "You must finish it all!"
We all stare at the enormous bowl/pot/plate of food and again, reluctantly reach for another helping.
Monday night was a big night because Madame invited the entire CIDEF board over for Sangria and Dinner. It was like Christmas or Thanksgiving-- the children were to behave quietly at their own table, while the adults carried on their own discussions. I am pretty sure that Madame is a very smart woman and a big deal in Angers.
I really like living with her because she takes such good care of us.
She's always asking if I'm hungry, thirsty, cold, tired or if I need anything. She's an animated little woman, who tells the story with her hands, in case you don't understand the French that's coming out of her mouth.
It turns out that the four cats that run around the garden aren't hers, but the neighbors. They just really like her yard-- and her house. They will run inside unseen by us, but not by Madame and she will screech and yell, shooing them out, because she's afraid they will pee inside her house.
But, she loves them and doesn't mind that they play in her yard. She feeds them often and in the most bizarre way. She takes this enormous bag of cat food outside and shakes it so all of the cats come running. Then she reaches into the bag and pulls out handfuls of food, throwing it in every direction as if they were birds. It's bizarre, but a lot of fun to watch.
There's an apple store down the street from school!

I love bread-- and so do the French. Breakfast, lunch and dinner EVERYDAY!

My school is really old and really beautiful! Despite it's title, it's hardly a Catholic school. I'll post better pictures soon



I live in Ponts de Ce, which is 15 minutes by bus from the school

I think this restaurant is neat looking, but I've never been there


The international symbol for Coca Cola! There's no such thing as "on the go" coffees and pop. The French always have time to sit down and have a conversation. That's right people, the starbucks grab and go style is non existent!

1 comment:
hey you, this is Emily Doerr... you should definitely go to Octoberfest, but instead of battling with the hostels, use www.couchsurfing.com to find a place to stay - because then you'll have a local to buzz around with too! the website is the best way to do Europe.
ps - you are positively lovely.
Post a Comment